Using a Drop Controller with cameras that don’t have trigger ports.

Forums General Questions and Comments Using a Drop Controller with cameras that don’t have trigger ports.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      John D Swanson

I’m literally started exploring the world of drop photography yesterday and am excited to learn and do more. In researching the various controllers, I keep seeing references to cables to trigger the camera. Here is my problem. I have a Canon M50, which does not have a trigger port. I can control the camera via the Canon app using Wifi or Bluetooth, and I know that I can control my camera via USB, using the Canon program, Lightroom (which I do not own), Digicam (which I have), and presumably other windows apps.
      Has anyone used this Drop Controller with a camera that doesn’t have a trigger port? I’m excited to get into this more, and am shooting 100% manually, with a makeshift drop system (20oz water bottle with drip irrigation hose and drip emitter attached to a tripod, a black plastic tray, and my M50 on a tripod)

I look forward to all responses.

• #10519 Reply
      Martyn
      Keymaster

It can be done but is not the fully automatic solution most drop devices aim for but also not too difficult.

Set up.
      Fairly dark room
      Camera in manual mode with a longish shutter speed. Half a second to a second is usually good. If the room is pitch black then bulb mode can be used.
      Flash(es) attached to the drop device and triggered by the drop device.

Manually trigger the camera, then start the drop device, wait for the sequence to finish, close the shutter.

This is a fairly standard high speed photography technique and there all manor of flash triggers that can be used not just a drop device.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Martyn.
Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Using a Drop Controller with cameras that don’t have trigger ports.
Your information: