- DIY Photography has a very good article by Corrie White called The Comprehensive Water Drop Photography Guide. Corrie White produced a book on drop photography. I don’t have it but there are many good comments on line. See Corrie’s website at https://www.liquiddropart.com/
- Tobias Braeuning has a good article about his set up including the circuit diagram for the device he built (in German).
- PetaPixel has an article written by Ted Kinsman called How to Build a DIY Double Water Drip System for High Speed Photos
- Wayne Fulton’s scantips website has some very good information on valves, nozzles and drops.
- Strobist: How to Photograph Water Drops with One Speedlight
Kevin Lewis’s PhotosbyKev website has an another good guide (lots more information in the comments) called Water Droplet Photography.
- Mark Hilliard Atelier’s Blog: A Treatise on High Speed Water Drops with the Fuji X Pro 1 & Voigtlander 75mm f/1.8
- Mark Hilliard Atelier’s Blog: Fuji X Pro 1 for High Speed Water drops Anyone?
- GarethB has an excellent write up (really detailed) on the talkPhotography forum called An Idiots guide: DIY Water Drop Controller with Arduinos and stuff. Gareth goes in to great depth about building a controller. I get an honourable mention 🙂
- Bryan Rolfe on Instructables has an article showing how to perform High-Speed Droplet Photography With an Arduino
Ramigrafx has another Arduino based water drop controller with full build instructions.
- As well as selling kits, HiViz have good information on trigger circuits (sound, delay, photogate, etc) in the tools section. Also check out the assembly instruction section.
- World of Drops. Public group dedicated to water drop photography.
- Liquid Art. Public group dedicated to all things liquid art.
- Drop Art Photography.Private group dedicated to water drop photography.
Searching youtube for “water drop photography” will get you lots of hits. Here are some that may be helpful.
- DIY Double Drop Photography Setup by Kazemir Photo. Comprehensive video explaining all the parts. Includes some very useful tips.
- Video Tutorial by Daniel Nimmervoll (in German) Wassertropfen Highspeed Fotografie Folge 1.
Daniel has several videos on youtube that clearly show the 2 drop method for getting taller sprouts. Start with this one (about 2:15). and then see this one and then explore his whole channel.
- Advanced 3 valve Setup by Daniel Nimmervoll (in German) Mein Aufbau für Wassertropfen Fotos
- First Man Photography: How to Do Water Drop Photography
Websites and Galleries
- Fluid PhotoArt – Water Drop Sculptures by Martin Kögl
- Liquid Art from Markus Reugels
- Corrie White’s flickr album
- Corrie White’s website galleries
DIY Camera Trigger Devices
- Michael Ross has a comprehensive guide for building a High Speed Photo Trigger based on the Arduino Mega
- Photoduino. A multi function camera trigger.
- SmaTrig 2.1 – The improved2 smart 15-in-1 trigger for DSLRs. Another multi-function camera trigger that can be used for water drops.
DIY Shutter Release Cables
Here are some of the commercial products you can buy. I can now add the dropController to the list 🙂
- HiViz AstroSplash Drop Controller
- MJKZZ water drop photography controller
- *Camera Axe
- The Drip Kit
- Splash Art Kit
- The Time Machine
- dropRobo (India)
- MIOPS: Splash – Water drop kit (single valve system)
*I’m not sure if the cameraxe is still being sold. Further information and links.