People Who Have Built dropControllers
Many people have built their own controllers but I seldom find details online. Here are the ones I know about.
- GarethB has an excellent write up (really detailed) on the talkPhotography forum called An Idiots guide: DIY Water Drop Controller with Arduinos and stuff. Gareth goes in to great depth about building a controller. I get an honourable mention 🙂
- Bryan Rolfe on Instructables has an article showing how to perform High-Speed Droplet Photography With an Arduino
Ramigrafx has another Arduino based water drop controller with full build instructions.
- As well as selling kits, HiViz have good information on trigger circuits (sound, delay, photogate, etc) in the tools section. Also check out the assembly instruction section.
Here are some of the commercial products you can buy. I can now add the dropController to the list 🙂
- MIOPS: Splash – Water drop kit (single valve system)
- dropRobo (India)
- HiViz AstroSplash Drop Controller
- MJKZZ water drop photography controller
- Splash Art Kit
- The Time Machine. The time Machine in no longer available.
- *Camera Axe
*I’m not sure if the cameraxe is still being sold. Further information and links.
DIY Shutter Release Cables
- DIY Photography has a very good article by Corrie White called The Comprehensive Water Drop Photography Guide. Corrie White produced a book on drop photography. I don’t have it but there are many good comments on line. See Corrie’s website at https://www.liquiddropart.com/
- Tobias Braeuning has a good article about his set up including the circuit diagram for the device he built (in German).
- PetaPixel has an article written by Ted Kinsman called How to Build a DIY Double Water Drip System for High Speed Photos
- Wayne Fulton’s scantips website has some very good information on valves, nozzles and drops.
- Strobist: How to Photograph Water Drops with One Speedlight
Kevin Lewis’s PhotosbyKev website has an another good guide (lots more information in the comments) called Water Droplet Photography.
- Mark Hilliard Atelier’s Blog: A Treatise on High Speed Water Drops with the Fuji X Pro 1 & Voigtlander 75mm f/1.8
- Mark Hilliard Atelier’s Blog: Fuji X Pro 1 for High Speed Water drops Anyone?
- I finally got round to creating a facebook page for the dropController. Early days but I hope yo post guides and tips.
- World of Drops. Public group dedicated to water drop photography.
- Liquid Art. Public group dedicated to all things liquid art.
- Drop Art Photography.Private group dedicated to water drop photography.
Drop Photo Techniques. Another new group intended to discuss techniques and equipment.
Searching youtube for “water drop photography” will get you lots of hits. Here are some that may be helpful.
- DIY Double Drop Photography Setup by Kazemir Photo. Comprehensive video explaining all the parts. Includes some very useful tips.
- Video Tutorial by Daniel Nimmervoll (in German) Wassertropfen Highspeed Fotografie Folge 1.
Daniel has several videos on youtube that clearly show the 2 drop method for getting taller sprouts. Start with this one (about 2:15). and then see this one and then explore his whole channel.
- Advanced 3 valve Setup by Daniel Nimmervoll (in German) Mein Aufbau für Wassertropfen Fotos
- First Man Photography: How to Do Water Drop Photography
Websites and Galleries
- Fluid PhotoArt – Water Drop Sculptures by Martin Kögl
- Liquid Art from Markus Reugels
- Corrie White’s flickr album
- Corrie White’s website galleries
DIY Camera Trigger Devices
- Michael Ross has a comprehensive guide for building a High Speed Photo Trigger based on the Arduino Mega
- Photoduino. A multi function camera trigger.
- SmaTrig 2.1 – The improved smart 15-in-1 trigger for DSLRs. Another multi-function camera trigger that can be used for water drops.