Here are some of the commercial products you can buy. I can now add the dropController to the list 🙂
- dropController. The reason this site exists :-).
- MIOPS: Splash Water drop kit (single valve system)
- HiViz AstroSplash Drop Controller
- Glimpse Catcher. I don’t believe there is a home page as such but Markus Reugel has details here
- Splash Art Kit
- dropRobo (India). 3 Valve system that looks like it may be based on the old 3 valve dropController.
- The Time Machine. The time Machine in no longer available.
- Camera Axe I’m not sure if the cameraxe is still being sold. Further information and links.
- dropController. The dropController was DIY long before I started selling devices and kits.
- GarethB has an excellent write up (really detailed) on the talkPhotography forum called An Idiots guide: DIY Water Drop Controller with Arduinos and stuff. Gareth goes in to great depth about building a controller. I get an honourable mention 🙂
- Bryan Rolfe on Instructables has an article showing how to perform High-Speed Droplet Photography With an Arduino
Ramigrafx has another Arduino based water drop controller with full build instructions.
- As well as selling kits, HiViz have good information on trigger circuits (sound, delay, photogate, etc) in the tools section. Also check out the assembly instruction section.
DIY Camera Trigger Devices
- Michael Ross has a comprehensive guide for building a High Speed Photo Trigger based on the Arduino Mega
- Photoduino. A multi function camera trigger.
- SmaTrig 2.1 – The improved smart 15-in-1 trigger for DSLRs. Another multi-function camera trigger that can be used for water drops.
DIY Shutter Release Cables
- DIY Photography has a very good article by Corrie White called The Comprehensive Water Drop Photography Guide. Corrie White produced a book on drop photography. I don’t have it but there are many good comments on line. See Corrie’s website at https://www.liquiddropart.com/
- Tobias Braeuning has a good article about his set up including the circuit diagram for the device he built (in German).
- PetaPixel has an article written by Ted Kinsman called How to Build a DIY Double Water Drip System for High Speed Photos
- Wayne Fulton’s scantips website has some very good information on valves, nozzles and drops.
- Strobist: How to Photograph Water Drops with One Speedlight
Kevin Lewis’s PhotosbyKev website has an another good guide (lots more information in the comments) called Water Droplet Photography.
- Mark Hilliard Atelier’s Blog: A Treatise on High Speed Water Drops with the Fuji X Pro 1 & Voigtlander 75mm f/1.8
- Mark Hilliard Atelier’s Blog: Fuji X Pro 1 for High Speed Water drops Anyone?
- Drops & Splash. A group created for all liquid drop splash photographers around the world.
- World of Drops. Public group dedicated to water drop photography.
- Water drop Photography. A private group that is well worth joining.
- Liquid Art. Public group dedicated to all things liquid art.
- Drop Photo Techniques. A new group intended as a place to discuss techniques ans settings.
- dropController. I finally got round to creating a page for the dropController. Early days but I hope to post guides and tips.
- WaterDropPhotography. a new sub-reddit for water drop photography. I’m feeling a bit lonely so please come join me.
Searching youtube for “water drop photography” will get you lots of hits. Here are some that may be helpful.
- DIY Double Drop Photography Setup by Kazemir Photo. Comprehensive video explaining all the parts. Includes some very useful tips.
- Video Tutorial by Daniel Nimmervoll (in German) Wassertropfen Highspeed Fotografie Folge 1.
Daniel has several videos on youtube that clearly show the 2 drop method for getting taller sprouts. Start with this one (about 2:15). and then see this one and then explore his whole channel.
- Advanced 3 valve Setup by Daniel Nimmervoll (in German) Mein Aufbau für Wassertropfen Fotos
- First Man Photography: How to Do Water Drop Photography
Websites and Galleries
- Fluid PhotoArt – Water Drop Sculptures by Martin Kögl
- Liquid Art from Markus Reugels
- Corrie White’s flickr album
- Corrie White’s website galleries
If you have a resource or want your website featured please send me a message via the contact form. Please be aware only drop photography related sites will be added.