Use of more flashes

Forums Forum Use of more flashes

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ralph 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Cor

Hi, thanks for sharing your project. I’ve build the BT version and is working fine. But I like to use more flashes. I don’t want to use the slave function of the flashes. Is it possible to drive 3 flashes by the arduino?

#1343 Reply

Martyn
    Keymaster

Yes it is as long as they all have the same trigger time (at this time there is only one flash trigger time).

In the Arduino sketch;

in the setup function initialise the additional pins. Here I am using A2 and A3 as digital pins. For the pin numbers use actual values or constants. Don’t use regular variables.

pinMode(16, OUTPUT); digitalWrite(16, LOW);
    pinMode(17, OUTPUT); digitalWrite(17, LOW);

and then in the triggerStart function and the triggerStop function add digitalWrite commands to turn the pins on and off. You will need to add optocouplers to these pins the same as the circuit for pin D12.

void triggerStart(int trig)
    {
    if (trig ==1) { digitalWrite(cam_TrigShutterPin , HIGH); }
    if (trig ==2) { digitalWrite(cam_TrigFocusPin, HIGH); }
    if (trig ==3)
    {
    digitalWrite(flash_TrigPin, HIGH);
    digitalWrite( 16,HIGH); // 2nd flash on pin D16 / A2
    digitalWrite( 17,HIGH); // 3rd flash on pin D17 . A03
    }
    }

void triggerStop(int trig)
    {
    if (trig ==1) { digitalWrite(cam_TrigShutterPin, LOW); }
    if (trig ==2) { digitalWrite(cam_TrigFocusPin, LOW); }
    if (trig ==3)
    {
    digitalWrite(flash_TrigPin, LOW);
    digitalWrite( 16,LOW);
    digitalWrite( 17,LOW);
    }
    }

However, it would be better to use either a radio trigger or wire up more flashes and use the original flash trigger.

If the flashes are all the same model or have the same trigger voltage you can also use headphone splitters (see http://www.dropcontroller.com/getting-started). To connect 4 flashes piggy back several splitters. This is how I started. I later built a small flash distributor which has one input and 4 outputs. The circuit is basically the same as the splitters. I haven’t used this for a while and I now use the radio trigger exclusively. I have the Yongnuo RF-603 II triggers and the Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-III flashes (the flashes have radio receivers built in).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Martyn.
    #1349 Reply

Cor

Thanks Martyn, I will try first the software coded version, and maybe buy some extra speedlites to try the radiocontrolled version.

#1366 Reply

AJAY DAND

Hi Martyn, could you please elaborate a bit as to what mode you use the multiple flashes and triggers (master/slave etc) and how do you connect them to the drop controller? I find your drop controller to be the easiest to understand for a complete electronics noob like me and I’m trying to build the rig, but the multiple flash question still bothers me. However, I must congratulate you on the pains you have taken to put up this very well documented resource. Thank you so much.

#1368 Reply

Martyn
    Keymaster

Hi,
    sorry for the late reply.

I connect the RF-603 II to the dropController and this triggers (up to) 4 flashes which I normally use as a single group. The RF-603 II has a Flash PC socket which connects using a 3.5 jack to PC cable.

#1924 Reply

Ralph

Hi Martin thanks again for sharing your project Project my parts of finally arrived and my drop controllerBT is complete. Everything seems to be working fine. I’m considering buying more flashes (Yongnuo YN-560 Mark III) and already have a set of RF-603 II Using one as a trigger and the other to trigger the Flash. but no matter what I try I can’t seem to trigger the flash with them using the drop controller am I missing something?
    Thanks in advance Ralph

#1928 Reply

Martyn
    Keymaster

The trigger signal to the RF-603 II has to enter through the hot shoe. The 2 sockets (3.5 and PC) are output only. I use a PC sync to hot shoe adapter like this one (the first I found online) https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764588-REG/Nisha_HTS_T_Hot_Shoe_Tripod_Mount.html. These are available on ebay and aliexpress much cheaper.

There are 2 kinds of adapter
    1 – PC Sync to hot shoe
    2 – Hot shoe to pc sync
    You need the first one.

#1932 Reply

Ralph

Hi Martyn
    Thanks for the info. For anyone who is interested in going wireless the Neewer FC-16 works directly connected to the drop controller unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be so well made as the RF-603 and they are not compatible with each other. So I’m considering buying the Neewer NW570 2.4GH flashes as I’m not sure if the FC-16 would be able to trigger the Yongnuo YN-560 Mark III’s.
    Neewer, Triopo, and Meike all appear to be the same. If anyone has ever used a FC-16 trigger for a Yongnuo YN-560 III flash please let me know
    Thanks Ralph.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Use of more flashes
Your information: