Triggers for Flashes

Forums dropController Forum General Questions Triggers for Flashes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Martyn 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Darius

Hei guys,

Anybody tried to trigger just one transmitter? My setup is 1 transmitter connected to Arduino output, one receiver plugged into the camera’s sync port. Then on cameras hotshoe I have another transmitter which is set to controll all my flashes in separate group. Looks like it’s working perfect and you could save some code and outputs. Ease to attache additional speedlites, just set then on that group.
    All flashes are always triggered by camera.
    I’m using Godox. And funny thing, that I’m using Canons versions on cables, and only need Sony version on hotshoe.

#3200 Reply

Martyn

Try using the flash separate to the camera. I have a radio trigger attached to FT1 which triggers 4 flashes guns.

The normal method is to use a dark environment (does not need to be pitch black):
    – activate camera (either bulb or longer shutter speed)
    – make drops
    – trigger flash(es)
    – let shutter close
    In this way it is the flashes that take the photo.

There is normally too much lag when triggering the camera. You also do not normally get a fast shutter speed. With my Canon, I have found the delay from trigger to shutter is not always the same.

#3202 Reply

Darius

Thanks Martyn!
    One more question – did you ever use 9 drops ? How it looks like ?
    I cannot imagine that :)

#3203 Reply

Martyn

The only time I have used 9 drops was when I was trying to get 3 separate collisions/sequences in a line at the same time. I never got it to work though.

#3207 Reply

Darius

Martyn, I’m trying to make my own dropper and then found your project. Very nice.

I’m thinking about simple code, simple interface. Any drop is released one by one in sequence and I thought that delay() is enough for that..
    What is the point of counting millis ?

#3210 Reply

Martyn
    Keymaster

When starting all the devices I checked used the same technique; drop; delay;drop;delay and I used this method for an an early version of the dropController. I as progressed I found it difficult to get the drops I wanted due to how the Arduino handles delays. Switching to start and size times means you can have multiply drops active at the same time and it gives more control over the drops. For example, should you want, with the dropController you can have 9 drops all active at the same time. This is not possible using delay().

The Arduino delay() command blocks the code meaning the Arduino can not do anything else while it is waiting. If you want to know more about this look in to “Arduino delay”, “Arduino blink without delay” and “Arduino doing more than one thing at the same time”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Triggers for Flashes
Your information: