dropControllerBT does not connect via Bluetooth using Windows

Forums Forum dropControllerBT does not connect via Bluetooth using Windows

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jorge D. Benther 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jorge D. Benther

Hi,

I built the dropControllerBT and I am attempting to connect it via Bluetooth, using Windows 10 Enterprise. But, no success so far.

I searched for the device on “Bluetooth & other devices” in Windows and I was able to find HC-06, then paired it. However, there is no option that I could see to connect it, as per instructed on Guide: “Connecting the dropController to a PC via Bluetooth” – “Connect Bluetooth SerialPort”. It is worth mentioning that I do not have BlueSoleil installed. Is this a requirement?

Anyway, I tried to connect with DropControllerPC V14.0.0.4 on the COM port that is identified for the HC-06, but there was a message “ERROR! Cannot connect to the dropController”, even though the light on the Bluetooth board stopped blinking.

I do not know what else to do. I hope to hear from you soon.

#2444 Reply

Jorge D. Benther

Additionally, I have just plugged the USB cable and Windows has recognized it USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM5), but when I try to connect using Windows APP dropControllerPC v14.0.0.4 the ERROR! Cannot connect to the dropController message pops up again, unfortunately.

#2445 Reply

Martyn

Make sure you are using version 2 of the sketch and app. These are the ones listed on the download page.
    dropControllerBT&PC Arduino Sketch version 14.0.0.3.
    DropController Windows app. Version 14.0.0.4

Using a USB connection try the following.

1 – welcome message
    2 – handshake message

Welcome message.

1 – connect the dropController/Arduino to the PC and determine the COM port
    2 – open the Arduino IDE
    3 – open the serial monitor and select the dropController COM port
    4 – in the serial monitor set the baud rate to 9600 + Both NL +CR
    5 – reset the Arduino (or close and reopen the serial monitor)

you should get the welcome message saying the firmware version and the date it was uploaded.

Handshake

1 – continue from above
    2 – in the serial monitor enter <HELLO> and click send.
    You should get a H reply.

3 – enter <VERSION> and click send
    You should get the firmware version again.

The above will confirm you have a working connection.

If this works try the same using the Bluetooth connection. As you know, once you have paired a Classic BT module you get a COM port. Select this port when trying the above.

For Bluetooth the handshake reply is HELLO not H

Edit: sometimes, it take 2 tries for the Windows app to connect.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Martyn.
    #2449 Reply

Martyn
    Keymaster

Connection is a two stage process:
    1 – app connects to the Bluetooth module
    2 – the app connects to the dropController sketch.

If you are connecting to the BT module this I suspect the issue is with the connection between the Arduino and the BT module. Double check the connections; RX is pin 14 and TX is pin 15.

#include
    SoftwareSerial BTserial(14, 15); // RX, TX

I remember having this listed incorrectly in the past.

#2456 Reply

Jorge D. Benther

Hi Martyn,

First of all, thank you for your reply. I am trying the steps you wrote.

I am using Arduino Genuino 1.8.8.

So far, I didnt get the welcome message: “you should get the welcome message saying the firmware version and the date it was uploaded.” after connecting according to your instruction. Nor the commands <HELLO> and <VERSION> are working for USB. But, only <VERSION> is working when I try the BT com port (it shows <V,009c,dropControllerBT_PC_009c.ino,Aug 26 2017>).

I can get the board info with USB (BN: Unknown board/VID:1A86/PID: 7523/SN: Upload any sketch to obtain it). I cant with BT.

I need to add that I am dealing with the older board version with connections for 3 valves and 2 cameras only.

I am not sure, but do you think it can be a problem during PORT COM recognition?

USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3) for USB properties PORT SETTINGS are: Bits per second: 9600; Data bits: 8; Parity: None; Stop bits: 1; and Flow control: None.

#2460 Reply

Jorge D. Benther

Great news! I was able to connect with USB cable, since I downloaded the old version of PC app and sketch from http://www.dropcontroller.com website.

Now, I just need to figure how to fix the Bluetooth connection problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: dropControllerBT does not connect via Bluetooth using Windows
Your information: