Compile error

Forums Forum Compile error

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Martyn 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mark

Hi Martyn,

My parts have all finally arrived and I’m starting to build. It’s been a couple of years since I programmed Arduinos (4 actually). I installed the 1.6.3 IDE, downloaded your sketch and the required lib etc.

When I try to compile I get an error

parseNewdata.ino: In function ‘void parseNewData()':
    parseNewdata.ino:63:37: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char’ [-fpermissive]
    Error compiling.

The line says
    receivedChars[0] = “”;

That looks fine to me – right kind of quotes anyways.

Any idea?

Thanks!

#2409 Reply

Mark

Actually I think I solved it.

You were assigning receivedChars[0] to null as ‘slash 0′

I changed it to read

receivedChars[0] = 0;

and it now compiles.

I haven’t run it yet as I’ve yet to build but I think that should be fine, no?

#2411 Reply

Martyn
    Keymaster

What version of the IDE are you using?
    I think this comes up with the newer IDEs.

#2412 Reply

Mark

I installed 1.6.3 because that’s what you said you used – I figured it would make life easier.

Also because my nano is an older one – the longer board with the larger chip and the 12v power supply jack. I figured I’d have a better chance of the older IDE working with an older nano.

#2413 Reply

Martyn
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

thanks for reporting back.

This has been reported before but I couldn’t duplicate the issue so assumed it was a change in the compiler or compiler settings with newer IDEs.

Just thought it may actually be the wrong kind of quotes. Maybe it needs single quotes but a zero should work fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Compile error
Your information: